Modern interiors completely replace the dilapidated guts of a historic shell and provide generous office and assembly spaces on three floors

Originally built in 1920 as a nurses’ dormitory, this building on three stories and a cellar, is a designated National Historic Landmark. Its neoclassical brick exterior features a bluestone base, cast stone trim, frieze and cornice and is topped by a mansard roof. Our office undertook the restoration of the building, its redesign and adapting it for use as the Administrative Office of the Snug Harbor Cultural Center.

Severe water damage to floor slabs and roof mandated their replacement by new steel and concrete floor slabs inserted within the hollowed out brick shell. The reconstruction restored and reinforced the classical exterior, while contrasting it with modern interiors and detailing.

A multi-use room on the first floor is used for exhibits, dining, or lectures. Administration offices are housed on the second floor. The third floor, with a soaring ceiling, exposed steel trusses and floating acoustic clouds, serves as an additional multi-use space.

Offices of the Snug Harbor Cultural Center >