The goal of this project was to transform the existing 1931 Primary School and its 1946 addition into a Primary/Intermediate School (Grades Pre‑K to 8). Our work entailed the partial reconstruction of the original building and construction of a new 54,500 square foot four-story addition.
In addition to 29 classrooms, the combined building houses a cafeteria and kitchen, a gymnasium, a library, special education facilities, laboratories, music room, storage and custodial facilities and administrative offices.
In deference to the scale of the original building, and to make a more fitting presence within the largely residential neighborhood, the facade of the large addition has been visually articulated in two sections. Focal aspects of the façade are the new gymnasium which is framed by cast stone round pilasters at ground level, and the curved volume of the library which projects at the top floor.